- Gloves- Leather – Rubber/nitrile – gauntlet length.
- Respiratory protection N95 mask - Dust mask
- Boots (preferable–steel toed) & Rubber
- Flashlights - Handheld – Head mount
- Batteries - Remember to store extra batteries and consider extra bulbs for the lights.
- Helmet/Hard hat
- Eye protection
- Knee pads
- Shovel - D handle round point, D handle square
- Crowbar/wrecking tool 36 to 48 inch
- Axe 36 inch handle
- Maul/sledge - 20 pound large - 8 pound may be useful for smaller folk
- Screwdriver set
- Pliers, Channel locks, box end wrenches, nut drivers
- Linesman pliers can handle electrical repairs
- Cutting pliers can remove fence, wire and reinforcing
- Hammer –framing hammer or rigger’s hammer & rubber mallet
- Rigger’s hammer has a hatchet head.
- Adjustable wrench
- Socket set
- Bolt cutters - Cuts through reinforcing rod and or cuts fence to size for your yard.
- Screws have better holding power than nails
- Hand saws & hack saw
- Consider Reciprocating saw
- Chainsaw- Extra chain, Extra 2 cycle oil for mixing with gas, Extra chain lube, Extra spark plug, Tools for changing chain and adjusting chain tension, Separate gas can for mixing 2 cycle oil and gasoline, Chain saws are now required to have safeguards to reduce kickback.
- Mops & mop buckets
- Snow shovel
- This can be used to clean up glass or piles of rubble. It can be used as a dust-pan for smaller rubble… and, of course in the bigger snowstorm, it is invaluable for the designed purpose.
- Contractor grade garbage bags - 55 gallon drum liner or 40 gallon trash bags
- Kitchen garbage bags
- Ziplock freezer bags quart and gallon size
- Disposable rags/towels for cleanup
- Dawn detergent
- Bleach unscented
- Vinegar – white
- Disinfecting wipes
- Rope for towing, pulling, or rescue
- 550 nylon This is the basic “parachute” cord. It has 7 internal strands an is rated for 550 pounds, hence the name.
- Plastic sheeting
- 12” Zip ties – at least 100
- Duct tape
- Tarps - 20x40, 8x10
- Consider come-along or winch
- Box of 3 inch screws or similar size nails
- Commercial stapler and abundant long staples.
- Chain and Bike locks
- Chain up and lock your generators, grills, gas cans, and extra propane..
- Be sure to consider the gasoline, containers, and possibly gasoline stabilizer needed for the generator.
- Weather radio with hand-cranked power supply ~$30
- Should also be able to receive FM/AM transmissions
- Small, battery powered AM/FM radio. Hand-cranked power supply would be great. Solar would also be great. If you can get one with both weather and
- AM/FM and alternative power supply you have spent your money well.
- FRS/GMRS radios
- Set of 2 to 4 – arrange coverage with neighbors
- Extra batteries
- Handheld CB radio